Mauritius is an island nation located in the Indian Ocean, off the southeastern coast of the African continent. It is approximately 1,200 miles (2,000 kilometers) off the southeast coast of Africa.
Location Map of Mauritius
Where is Mauritius?
Mauritius is located in the south-west of Indian Ocean and off coast of south-east Africa continent. Mauritius map also depicts that it is a group of island situated about 900 km east of Madagascar. The Mauritius location map shows the exact geographic location in the World. It is the 170th largest nation in the world by size.
The geographical area is merely 2,040 km2 (790 sq mi) and the capital city is Port Louis. The significant languages of the country are Mauritian Creole, French, and English. However, the official language is English but the lingua franca is Mauritian Creole and the newspapers and television programs are generally in French.
The government type of Mauritius is a parliamentary republic. it is a member of the African Union, Southern African Development Community, the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa, La Francophonie and the Commonwealth of Nations.
The region comprises many ethnic groups; important of them are Asian, African, Chinese and French. The location in Indian Ocean and tropical climate collectively attract tourists from all over the world. Mauritius tourism has substantial contribution in the country’s total revenue. However, other economic activities of region are sugarcane plantations, textiles, services, seafood processing, information technology, and of course medical tourism.
6 Best islands in Mauritius
Mauritius is itself an island, but there are several smaller islands and islets around its coastline that are popular among tourists and locals alike. Some of the famous islands and islets in Mauritius include
- Rodrigues Island: Located about 560 kilometers (350 miles) east of Mauritius, Rodrigues is an autonomous outer island of Mauritius. It is known for its pristine beaches, coral reefs, and unique flora and fauna.
- lle aux Cerfs (Deer Island): This is a privately-owned island near the east coast of Mauritius. It is a popular destination for day trips, offering beautiful beaches and water sports activities.
- lle aux Serpents (Snake Island): This small islet is situated off the northeast coast of Mauritius and is a protected natural reserve. It is home to various bird species and marine life.
- lle aux Aigrettes: A small coral island located near the southeastern coast of Mauritius. It is a nature reserve and home to several endangered species, including the pink pigeon and giant tortoises.
- lle d'Ambre (Amber Island): Located in the north of Mauritius, lle d'Ambre is known for its lush vegetation, hiking trails, and beautiful beaches.
- lle aux Serfs (Ile aux Serfs): A popular resort island with beautiful beaches, golf courses, and various water activities.
Interesting Facts about Mauritius
|Continent of Mauritius||Africa|
|Where is Located||Mauritius is a country located in the Eastern Africa|
|Mauritius Coordinates||-20.166667, 57.516667|
|Capital of Mauritius||Port Louis|
|Largest City||Port Louis|
|Administrative divisions||9 districts and 3 dependencies|
|Mauritius Legislature||National Assembly|
|Area of Mauritius||2,040 sq. km (790 sq mi)|
|Population of Mauritius||1,300,911 (Sep, 2023)|
|Mauritius Religion||48.54% Hinduism, 32.71% Christianity, 17.30% Islam, 1.45% Others|
|Official Language of Mauritius||English|
|Mauritius Currency||Mauritian Rupee (MUR)|
|ISO Alpha-2 Code||MU|
|ISO Alpha-3 Code||MUS|
|ISO Numeric Code||480|
|Mauritius GDP ppp||$36.794 billion (139th) 2023 estimate|
|Mauritius Calling code||230|
|Mauritius Time Zone||MUT (UTC+4)|
What to See in Mauritius?
The famous places to see in Mauritius are lle aux Cerfs, Mauritius Island, Flic En Flac Beach, Le Morne Brabant, Black River Gorges National Park, Chamarel Seven Colored Earth , Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam, Grand Bassin, Trou aux Cerfs, Chamarel Waterfall, Tamarind Falls, Blue Penny Museum, Casela Nature Parks, lle aux Benitiers, Gunner's Quoin, Le Pouce, Flat Island, Rochester Falls, Central Market, Pieter Both, Blue Safari Submarines, Bras D'Eau National Park and more