Key West is a city and island located at the southernmost point of the continental United States. It is part of Monroe County, Florida, and is situated on the western end of the Florida Keys archipelago. Key West is approximately 129 miles (208 kilometers) southwest of Miami and is connected to the mainland by the Highway (U.S. Route 1). The island of Key West is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean to the south and the Gulf of Mexico to the north.
Key West Location Map, Florida
Most Viewed Links:
|Florida Map||Counties in Florida||Where is Florida||Cities in Florida|
|Florida Zipcodes||Florida Area Codes||Airports in Florida||-|
|US National Parks||US National Monuments||World Heritage Sites in the US||Largest Lakes in USA|
Where is Key West Located?
Key West is an island located within the U.S. state of Florida. Dredgers Key, Sunset Key, Fleming Key and the northern part of Stock Island all constitute this island. Key West a chain of small, coral islands, located at located at the end of the Florida Keys in the southern tip of Florida. Talking about its dimensions, it is about 1 mile (2 km) wide, 4 miles (6 kilometres) long and has a total area of 4.2 square miles. Key West has a tropical climate with a two-season dry and wet climate. Solares Hill is the highest point of the island which is 18 ft (5.5 m) above sea level. Here are some facts you must know about Key West:
Facts about Key West
- The former name of Key West - The original name of Key West was Cayo Hueso which was given by Spanish settlers and later on it was renamed by English settlers.
- Locals of Key West - Locals of this island are called ‘conch’ and if you are a resident for at least 7 years then you are called a “freshwater conch”.
- Key West is the most populated area of its jurisdiction - Key West falls under the jurisdiction of Monroe County and is the most populated area of this place.
- Notable residences of Key West - Little White House, Tennessee Williams house and Ernest Hemingway house are amongst the notable residences of Key West.
- Demographics of Key West - As per the census report of 2020, 26,444 people, 10,501 households, and 5,463 families were residing at Key West which means that 4,285.0 inhabitants per square mile were the population density.
Key West Facts & Information:
|Key West Location||Southernmost of Florida|
|Famous for||watersports, lively nightlife, beaches, historic sites and its pastel, conch-style architechture.|
|Area Total||7.21 sq mi (18.67 km2)|
|Land Area||5.60 sq mi (14.50 km2)|
|Water Area||1.61 sq mi (4.17 km2)|
|Elevation||18 ft (5 m)|
|Density||4,722.99/sq mi (1,823.44/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST)) , In Summer (DST) - UTC−4 (EDT)|
|ZIP Codes||33040, 33041, 33045|
|Area code(s)||305 and 786 (305 Exchanges: 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 320, 809)|
|GNIS feature ID||294048|
|Road & HIghways||U.S. Route 1, State Road A1A|
|Airport||Key West International Airport (EYW / KEYW)|
|Best time to visit Key West||Between March and May|
|Cities near Key West||105 miles to Havana, Cuba|
130 miles to Miami, FL
130 miles to Hialeah, FL
208 miles to Santa Clara, Cuba
228 miles to Saint Petersburg, FL
238 miles to Tampa, FL
Best Thing to do in Key West
The famous tourist attraction and best thing to do in Key West are The Hemingway Home and Museum, Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park, Southernmost Point of the Continental, Mallory Square, The Key West Butterfly and Nature, Truman Little White House, Smathers Beach, Duval Street, Key West Lighthouse, Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park, Sloppy Joe's, Mel Fisher Maritime Museum, Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square, Audubon House & Tropical Gardens, Higgs Memorial Beach Park, Key West Shipwreck Museum, Fort East Martello Museum, Key West Cemetery, Dog Beach, Rest Beach, USCGC Ingham Maritime Museum, Truman Annex Park, Key West Tropical Forest & Botanical Garden, Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden, Higgs Beach Dog Park, Schooner Appledore, Dry Tortugas National Park, Key West Bight, Conch Tour Train, Trumbo Point, Yankee Freedom- Dry Tortugas,Whitehead Spit, Monroe County Parks & Beaches and many more.