Sanibel is an island and city in Lee County in southwestern Florida, U.S., about 20 miles (30 km) southwest of Fort Myers.
Sanibel Island Location Map, Florida
Where is Sanibel Island Located?
Sanibel Island, located along the Gulf of Mexico, west of Fort Myers, Florida. Sanibel Island is a city incorporated in the year 1974 and located in Lee County, Florida, United States. It is a type of barrier island which means that it has a dune system with flat or lumpy areas of sand that forms due to wave and tidal action. The east end of the island has proper cities and approximately half of the island is made up of wildlife refuges. The island is a very popular destination for tourists because of wildlife refuges and shell beaches. J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge is the largest wildlife refuge located on Sanibel Island. Wanting to know more about Sanibel Island then you are at the right place.
Know all about Sanibel Island
- Major Attractions of Sanibel Island - Sanibel Historical Village, Bailey-Matthews National Shell Museum, Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation, Sanibel Sea School and the Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife are some of the major attractions of Sanibel Island.
- Geographical Details - Sanibel Island spans over a total area of 86.01 km2 out of which 41.90 km2 is land and the remaining 44.10 km2 is water.
- Demographics of Sanibel Island - According to the census for the year 2020, the total population of this place was 6,828 and there were 3,359 households and 2,273 families. As per the report, the population density of Sanibel Island in 2020 was 454.6 per square mile.
- Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum - The only shell museum across the globe - Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum is located on Sanibel Island.
- Climate of Sanibel Island - The island has a "tropical and humid" climate. The coolest temperature is seen from January to April.
Sanibel Island Facts & Information:
|County||Lee County, Florida|
|Total Area||33.21 sq mi (86.01 km2)|
|Land Area||16.18 sq mi (41.90 km2)|
|Water Area||17.03 sq mi (44.10 km2) 48.13%|
|Elevation||3 ft (0.9 m)|
|• Density||457.42/sq mi (176.61/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST)) in Summer - UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Airports near Sanibel Island||The Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW)|
|Cities Near Sanibel Island||Fort Myers Beach, FL · Iona, FL · Cape Coral, FL · Cypress Lake, FL · Villas, FL · San Carlos Park, FL · Fort Myers, FL|
Most Viewed Florida Links:
|Florida Map||Counties in Florida||Where is Florida||Cities in Florida|
|Florida Zipcodes||Florida Area Codes||Airports in Florida||-|
|US National Parks||US National Monuments||World Heritage Sites in the US||Largest Lakes in USA|
Best Things to Do in Sanibel Island:
Best Things to Do in in Sanibel Island are South Seas Island Resort, Captiva Island, J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife, Bowman's Beach, Bailey-Matthews National Shell, Sanibel Lighthouse, Lighthouse Beach Park, Gulfside City Park Beach, Sanibel Historical Museum and Village, Turner Beach, Bunche Beach, Blind Pass Beach, North Captiva Island, Tarpon Bay Beach, Alison Hagerup Beach, Sanibel Causeway, Causeway Islands Park, Dunes Golf & Tennis Club, Blind Pass, Picnic Island, San Carlos Island, Bowman's Beach Park, San Carlos Bay - Bunche Beach and more.